Friday, August 03, 2007

That's amore

I always wished I was Italian American. Instead I'm a boring old Scandinavian/German American. No big extended-family Sunday pasta dinners, no Cosa Nostra, no cool names like Corrato Soprano or Santino Corleone, no cousins-who-I-love-like-a-brother. But at least I can get my groceries at Lunardi's, which is where your grandmother would shop if she immigrated from Italy to the Bay Area, and at least I can eat mortadella sandwiches, which I've decided I love. I hope I never find out what's in mortadella because that might ruin it for me.

8 comments:

Carly said...

At least you didn't take your Italian fantasies as far as I did, i.e., taking 4 classes in college, purchasing strange, out-of-date Italian music, buying a dress specifically intended to be worn in Rome and nowhere else, and planning a trip to Italy that never happened. A little Lunardi's and mortadella never hurt anybody.

Neil said...

Ah Carly. We truly are cousins.

Anonymous said...

Hey don't you know those Lithuanians know how to eat too. And what about names like Francis and Josephine? Talk about big families, there children...

Anonymous said...

Francis,
Timothy,
Elisabeth,
Marion,
Kathleen,
Patricia,
Lawrence,
James
and Jodi (only name I ever knew).

Erika said...

Scandinavian/German American boring? HA! (from a fellow Scandinavian/German-btw)

Well someone has to eat the Mortadella. Better you than me.

--Erika

Melissa said...

Ditto on every single thing in Carly's comment.

If you would just let me call you Guiseppe like I asked, maybe people would think you are Italian American.

Melissa said...

By the way, I think we're well on our way to faking it as Italian Americans. Do you realize we had pasta Monday, Tuesday and Thursday and Pizza Friday and Saturday! OO

kacy faulconer said...

I'm so over wanting to be Italian. Now I want to be either Jewish or really into football and living in Texas.