Thursday, January 31, 2008

Baby names

If you’re in the process of debating baby names like Melissa and I are, you might be interested to know about this blog, which is surprisingly interesting. For example, I learned that we both appear to be “fashionable traditionalists” about baby names, and that boys' names ending in “n” have skyrocketed recently. Fascinating, no?

Most people are either enthusiastic about our name ideas or, if they seem not to like them, politely reserved. But my Grandma never holds anything back. She HATES Peter, our pick for a boy, mostly because of “Peter Peter, pumpkin eater.” She tells me she can live with our current girl name--Sally--but would prefer Marie (which is on our short list). Incidentally, all of our best name ideas came from Melissa, who, fortunately for me and our future kid(s) and notwithstanding my Grandma’s opinions, has good taste in names.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

When I emailed my "long list" to momma she just clicked reply and wrote "I hate most of these."

Melissa said...

Also: Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater is something to consider, but I'm more worried about Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. ILY.

Carly said...

I would worry more about religious references. You don't want kids calling your kid "the rock!" I love Peter and Sally. Marie I could take or leave. Not that you asked...... My latest are Anna Jane and Daniel James.

Anonymous said...

Have you had that baby yet?