Friday, October 07, 2005

So it’s come to this

Inspired by the likes of Marcy, Carly, Kacy, and Christian, I’m throwing my hat into the blog ring. Think of my blog as a place to go to cleanse your palate between visits to other, more amusing blogs. Like when people at wine tastings munch a saltine before moving on to a new wine, or so I heard once.

A question to start things off: If you hail from Utah or southeastern Idaho, how do you pronounce the word warm? Because I just found out that I’ve been saying it like a Utah hick* for my whole life (no offense if you say it like me). And I have tried so hard to rid myself of all my Utonics. The worst part is, I can’t imagine saying it any other way and don’t think I’ll ever change. Apparently I have 19th-century St. Louis-ians to thank for it.


*The way I (and other hicks) say it rhymes with arm. If you say it like war with an m, you’re doing fine--enjoy being a non-hick.

11 comments:

Melissa said...

aaaaahhhhhh!!! welcome to the bling.

A sophisticated, non-hick like me would NEVER say warm like arm. Now a question for you: Do you think sody pop goes with chicken and dumplins? I do, but my uncle Bubba told me it just ain't right.

Neil said...

Hmmm...dumplins does sound pretty hick. But you're from the South, so it's cool. It's all part of that Southern charm. There ain't nothing charming about Utonics.

kacy faulconer said...

When I say warm it rhymes with form, so. . . I guess I'm better than you.

I really don't think of your blog like a saltine, more like a Chicken in a Biskit.

Welcome and, it's about time.

Carly said...

I've never said warm like arm--but that's because TV taught me how to talk. Sweet tv....Do you say ward like tard?

Star said...

Who says tard?!

Neil said...

Kacy: Thanks for the welcome and your kind words about my blog. I know Chicken in a Biskit is the Cadillac of snack crackers.

Carly: Can you use tard in a sentence for me please?

Carly said...

The point here is not whether "tard" is a word, per se. The point is, do you pronounce "ward" in the same way? Now don't evade my question.

Neil said...

If I said ward like tard, I doubt if you would even know me.

I still want you to use it in a sentence!

Star said...

Yeah, let's hear that sentence. . .

Carly said...

Don't be such a 'tard about me using the word "tard" in a sentence, yo!

Carly said...

Or, if you'd rather:
"I'm so mad that Richard Simmons borrowed my 'tard. Now it has runs in it and I'll have to get a new one!"