Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Car talk

I trusted my mechanic Hasaan. My theory was, since 9/11 and the subsequent stigma of being Arab (not from me of course—I’m a sensitive, New Age guy), he would never ever screw any of his customers over because that would be it for him. So when it came time for my 100,000 mile tune-up, right before my 3,000 mile drive from DC to San Fran in August, I happily headed down to Hasaan’s shop only to find that he had been bought out by the Guatemalans! My mind raced. Can I trust these guys? Let me do a quick mental check of my racial stereotypes for any useful information. Just kidding. (Maybe.) I took the plunge. $900 and four new tires later, I was rolling home in my little Mazda wondering if I just got screwed. At least they didn’t tell me I needed a new Johnson Rod. (Carly, that Seinfeld reference is for you and you better get it or I’ll be disappointed.) They fixed my car’s long-standing stalling-out problem by jacking the idle speed up to 2,000 rpms. So now when I pulled up to a red light, everyone thought “Take your foot off the gas when you push in the clutch, moron.” But I thought everything was cool with my car, basically.

Four weeks after I got to San Fran, I finally got around to getting my car registered, or, I should say, making my first attempt at registering my car. As I write this six weeks later, I’m still driving around with Virginia plates. My first stop: Speedy Lube for my requisite Smog Check. “You’re idle is way too high. We reset it and now you have to drive for a week so your car’s ‘puter can gather more emissions data.” A week later, I stop by Speedy again. My car has zero emissions data stored after a week of driving. My soon-to-be-bud Lewis takes me aside in the waiting room: “Take a nice long drive down the Peninsula, then up into the hills over by the ocean. Then come back and we’ll check the ‘puter.” I do as I’m told. Still no data. Lewis connects his monitor under my dashboard, hops in the passenger seat, and we’re off for another drive. Along the way, Lewis informs me that California is great if you’re gay or an avocado. Hahahahaha. Oh, and still no data. I get to go back into the garage with my new bud and watch as he sprays carb cleaner all over the engine while it idles and thus discovers that I have a vacuum leak.

So it’s off to the Mazda dealership because only they can fix it. And now I have a new friend: Pine the Samoan. Two weeks ago he hooked up the smoke machine to my engine and we both watched together as wisps of smoke leaked out of my faulty “resonance chamber.” Parts and labor: $275. But the part had to be special ordered and now, two weeks later, I’m sitting in the dealership waiting room at 7:00 a.m. listening to Michael McDonald on the radio as they install my brand new resonance chamber. Will I be able to pass my Smog Check now? I doubt it. But I’m treating myself to a chocolate-chocolate chip muffin later and I’ll raise my milk to toast the friends I’ve made along the way: Hasaan, that one Guatemalan guy, Lewis, and Pine. Don’t spend all my money in one place, guys.

15 comments:

Melissa said...

Dear Sensitive New Age Guy:

Did Pine know about your anti-Samoan policies?

I can't stand Michael McDonald. I'm sorry you had to listen to that. I may bring back my hatin' box in my sidebar for him.

Carly said...

At least Pine didn't kidnap your car because you weren't treating it with the kind of love and care it deserved. I am too distracted by the reference to a chocolate chip muffin to say much else. It it going to be chocolate chocolate chip, or just chocolate chip? Either way, I think I need to go get one. PS Mike tried to comment but wasn't allowed. He is bummed.

Neil said...

Marcy: Pine helped me see that Polynesians are people too.

Carly: Chocolate-chocolate chip, and delish. Did you end up getting one? It's like having a big huge piece of moist, chocolatey cake for breakfast.

I need to find out why Mike can't make comments. This cannot stand!! Do you have any idea what the problem might be?

Carly said...

Perhaps you don't allow annonymous comments? And no, I didn't get a muffin, but I ate a package of mini twixes to compensate. I'm good....I'm good...

Melissa said...

Carly can't stop talking about wanting a muffin to me on IM...instead she is gorging on halloween candy to make up for it. (And you have your settings to only allow bloggers to comment--sorry for busting in on Carly's question.)

Melissa said...

Hmm, I guess great minds think alike at 1:56 pm.

Carly said...

Ha ha ha. I guess Marcy and I are the wonder twin commentors.

Melissa said...

wonder twin commenter powers activate!

Neil said...

Okay, I changed the setting so Mike should be able to comment and, I presume, correct all my errors in automotive facts and terminology.

Mini twixes are good, but you still need to have a muffin ASAP. Perhaps tomorrow morning? That would be my recommendation.

Carly said...

Done and done.

Anonymous said...

All these comments are making me hungry for....muffins.

Neil. Sorry about the car problems. Emissions stuff sucks big time. California is the worst too. Arizona is worse than Utah, which was bad. I always thought my problem was having junky cars. Now I know any car that isn't brand new is going to have problems. (I consider your car in the "nice car" category) Feel free to move to Tucson anytime.

Neil said...

Hey Mike: Welcome to my blog! I would have liked to have had you around earlier to advise me on car maintenance decisions. I'm starting to think I got screwed by the Guatemalans in Virginia. Everyone needs to have a car dude and a computer dude to go to for advice when problems come up. I lost my car dude a while ago, so I'm looking for a replacement. You are now a candidate.

You and Carly need to sit down together to a big breakfast of chocolatey muffins!!

Anonymous said...

Neil, did you ever consider the 3,000 mile trek across the country may have contributed to your motor woes? The 100,000 miles wouldn't have anything to do with the problems, that's the break-in point. You just need to tool around the bay area and check out the locals to find your new "Hassan". I would think that would be a piece of cake, being the New Age Sensitive guy that you are.
Cake? Did I say cake? Out of my way, I'm lookin for a chocolate chip muffin (cookie will do).

kacy faulconer said...

Why don't we all stop kidding ourselves and just eat cake for breakfast? I mean, why do we have to call it a "muffin"?

Emily said...

I have cake for breakfast at every opportunity.